The oldest wooden medieval church in Romania
The oldest wooden church in Romania is located in Putna, in the village`s cemetery, close to Putna Monastery. The wooden church is the oldest medieval church kept on the territory of Romania, dating from the 14 th century.
According to some specialists, this church would be the oldest wooden church in Europe.
This place of worship had been initially built in Volovăţ, by Dragoş Vodă, the first ruler of Moldavia. The church was then moved by Stephen the Great to Putna, in the year 1468.
The ruler built another church in the place of the old one, which has the annual fete entitled „Înălţarea Sf. Cruci” (The Feast of the Cross). He sanctified it in the year 1502.